Miami Valley Fighting Championship’s inaugural event features 15 bouts
Ohio has a new promotion set to make it’s debut this weekend. Miami Valley Fighting Championship heads to the Action Sports Center in Dayton, Ohio this Saturday with a 15-bout pro/am event. Spearheaded by Joe Miller, the event will feature a headline bout between Dayton MMA Academy fighter Anthony Morgan (3-4) and Vision fighter Reggie Merriweather (8-10).
Morgan has been in a slump as of late, dropping his previous four bouts. The professional career for Morgan started out with a bang. He won his first three fights by submission with two of them occurring in the first round.
In his most recent outing, Morgan was submitted with seconds left in the second round against Brandon Suber (6-5). This particular match-up which took place less than four weeks ago saw the return of Morgan after he took an 8-month hiatus from the sport.
His opponent, Merriweather, is also coming into this match-up with a losing streak. The veteran of 18 professional fights had an unfortunate stoppage in his last fight. During his match with Justin Bonitatis (4-1) at CFFC 58, Merriweather suffered a cut above his right eye that was deep enough that the ringside doctor was forced to stop the action.
D-Evil Fight Team competitor, Walker, made his amateur debut just over one year ago. He went the distance in his first two outings, winning his debut and then dropping the next bout by split decision. Since then the heavyweight fighter earned himself two stoppages including an impressive eight-second stoppage.
His brother-in-arms has won three of his last four fights with all coming in the opening round. Richwine began his amateur career out in Colorado before venturing, and eventually settling in Dayton, Ohio.
This is a pivotal match-up for Richwine. A win over a competitor such as Walker will put him on the path to becoming a top contender in the heavyweight division.
Here is a look at the rest of the card scheduled to take place this weekend:
Miami Valley Fighting Championship: Bragging Rights
– Anthony Morgan (3-4) vs. Reggie Merriweather (8-10)
– Chad Kelly (1-2) vs. Anthony Jamison III (2-4)
– Justin Richwine (5-3) vs. Gavin Walker (3-1)
– Joe Hall (4-5) vs. Rick White (6-13)
– Chris Straight (2-1) vs. Bo Johnson (3-1)
– Jamie Jones (0-0) vs. Anthony Clark (0-0)
– Ilyaz Mamadaliyev (1-0) vs. Colton Cessna (2-0)
– Paul Schommer (3-4) vs. Chase Hoerig (2-2)
– Marty Clay (0-0) vs. Josh Thomas (0-1)
– Eddie Hendrickson (1-0) vs. Dillan Farris (1-1)
– Greg Carr (2-1) vs. Levert Hare Iii (2-1)
– Jesse Scheaffer (0-1) vs. Austin Bullion (0-0)
– Corey Andres (0-1) vs. Brad Simmons (0-0)
– Travis Sparks (0-0) vs. Stephen Morris (1-1)
– Jacob Harrison (0-3) vs. Kristian Lovlie (0-0)
Stay tuned to BluegrassMMA.com this week for more event updates and coverage.